Re: A Compromise to the Versioning Debate

Henri Sivonen schrieb:
> On Apr 16, 2007, at 12:34, Dão Gottwald wrote:
>
>> I see. But then the name of the attribute should make clear that it's
>> IE-specific,
>
> Why would designed-for-ie-version='7' be better than e.g.
> tested-with-current-browser-versions-on='2007-04-16'?

1) Author's shouldn't expect other browsers to care about that attribute.
2) Not all authors use latest browser versions.

>> and as an interim solution,
>
> Interim solutions on the Web tend to become permanent...

Nevertheless, we should try hard to avoid it in this case.

>> it shouldn't be part of the spec.
>
> Well, at least conformance checkers would need to allow the attribute.

I don't think that's a requirement.

> Otherwise, Microsoft would most likely come up with a switch that isn't
> noticed by conformance checkers and, as a consequence, would not
> round-trip nicely with XML tools.

That's a tradeoff that Microsoft will have to make.
Note that both scenarios already exist today, with non-standardized
attributes (e.g. contenteditable) and conditional comments.

--Dao