Re: Versioning and html[5]

Alexander Graf wrote:
> You do realize that all those tools use the Microsoft viewers and
> merely provide an
> alternative interface? That also means all those tools only run on
> Windows.
Do you realize your assertion is false as well? For example:

*Aspose.Word: *

Aspose.Words enables .NET and Java applications to read, modify and
write WordŽ documents without utilizing Microsoft WordŽ. Aspose.Words
supports a wide array of features including document creation, content
and formatting manipulation, powerful mail merge abilities, exporting to
DOC, HTML, WordprocessingML, RTF and PDF (requires Aspose.Pdf).
Aspose.Words is truly the most affordable, fastest and feature rich Word
component on the market.

*Aspose.Cells:*

Aspose.Cells is a non-graphical ExcelŽ spreadsheet reporting component
that enables either .Net or Java applications to read and write ExcelŽ
spreadsheets without utilizing Microsoft ExcelŽ. Aspose.Cells is a very
feature rich component that offers much more than just basic exporting
of data. With Aspose.Cells developers can export data, format
spreadsheets in every detail and at every level, import images, import
charts, create charts, stream ExcelŽ data, save in various formats and
much, much more.**

*TxText:*

TX Text Control .NET has been rebuilt from scratch to benefit from the
new object oriented design of Visual Studio .NET. This enables
developers to take advantage of TX Text Control .NET's new, intuitive
class design, resulting in more effective programming, shortening of
development cycles and reduction of development costs.

Embedded in most applications is the ability to edit text. TX Text
Control .NET offers your developers a wide range of word processing
functions to add to their applications. Provide your clients with a
fully featured WYSIWYG interface to create invoices, letters, quotes or
other office documents.

    * Standardized WYSIWYG interface
    * Fully featured word processing
    * Drag and drop

And as I said, those were only a few.  Here is a Java open-source
project: [1]

My assertion stands; it economically possible for people to reverse
engineer Microsoft's formats.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/