Re: Proposing <indent> vs. <blockquote>

Brad Fults wrote:
> I can't think of a single use case where an <indent> element would be
> a better representation of content than contemporary HTML elements
> styled with CSS.
Can you please provide me an example of both an <indent> and an
alternate HTML element that would be styled with CSS?  And please do it
with inline CSS styling as people who write HTML in blog posts and in
comments on blogs and when posting to forums.
> Any incoherencies in the box model support in different browsers are
> only temporary and will be eradicated in the coming months/years.
Forgive me for being skeptical, but I believe you are being hopelessly
over-optimistic on this count.
> In any case, bugs in current implementations of reasonable specs are
> certainly no reason to introduce entirely new elements only to get
> around the bugs.
The reality is that indentation is an extremely common use-case, and
HTML proper does not support indentation without carrying potentially
improper semantics. Simplifying a common use case is a very good reason
to provide an element.

FYI, my primary concern is for the casual HTML author such as mentioned
above; for these people brevity of expression is extremely important.
If you don't give them brevity in the "correct" way to do it, they'll
use the "incorrect" way as it makes their life easier.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/