Re: Proposing <indent> vs. <blockquote>

Rene Saarsoo wrote:
> Actually I agree with Mike Schinkel, that we need another
> element in addition to <blockquote> to mark up indented text,
> but it's not really <indent> what we need, and we don't
> really need it for indenting.
Thanks for the support.

A point of note; I'm not arguing so much for <indent> as for the
principle of addressing common presentational use-case with simplified
markup.
> Often we want to designate some portion of text from it's
> surrounding content. This could be some kind of interesting
> fact you want to add to your main content, some kind of example,
> in-depth material, etc, but it's clearly not a quotation.
> Often you might want to style it with and indent (which
> might be a good default for that element in visual user-agents),
> but it's clearly not the only way, you might want to style it.
>
> Happily HTML5 already defines the <aside> [1] element, that
> nicely fits for all those purposes and many more.
>
>   <aside>
>   I don't really agree with the use of predefined class-
>   names for it, but that's a completely other issue.
>   </aside>
>
> [1]
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-sections.html#the-aside

I was not familiar with <aside>, thank you, I like it but reviewing it
is not what I was looking for.  Aside gives semantics, and its semantics
are not applicable to my use-cases which are call-outs for info that
should be inline in a document.  I've reviewed my blog and found a
couple of recent examples.

    -- http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog/businesscardsphotosandpersonalurls/
    -- http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog/gtfk/
    -- http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blog/thesirensongofssi/

And yes, I misused blockquote even though I know better. Why? Because
blogging is a pita and I want to get it done ASAP, and not worry about
having to login to the server to change my CSS file and battle the
caching demons in order to test it.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/