Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> OK. Think I get the picture. One last check just to make sure I got this
> right:
>
> Lets say I want to make an HTML5 authoring tool that provides HTML5
> conformance checking.
>
> I then have to write an application that somehow implements the prose of
> the HTML5 specification. How this is done is entirely up to me. The
> prose will be the only normative definition available.
>
> After that I must continuously monitor the specification for
> fixes/updates and update my application accordingly.

Correct. You'll have to do that anyway to make sure you address any bugs
we find in the spec (or in the tool!). Browsers have to do this too.

> Most likely, however, I will not write this application myself, but
> obtain it from some third party vendor that performs the monitoring and
> supplies me with updates.

That's also possible, yes.

> This means, in practice, that standard conformance will be administered
> by a number of third party vendors who will use different technologies
> and specification techniques of their own choice to check documents.

Yup, just like browsers use different technologies and specification
techniques of their own choice to render documents.