Re: Opt-in solutions ...and problems (was Re: Versioning and html[5])

From: Bruce Boughton <bruce@bruceboughton.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:11:44 +0100
To: Matthew Ratzloff <matt@builtfromsource.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Matthew Ratzloff wrote:

> 1. Provide no opt-in switch, but do not write the specification in
> such a way that breaks content in Internet Explorer.  This, in effect,
> means adding to the spec the IE-specific bugs that at least 1% of
> websites coded with IE in mind rely upon.
>
>    + One specification governs all behavior; easy for authors
>    - IE bugs are introduced into the specification
>    - Deprecating, removing, or otherwise specifying a change in usage
> is severely limited
I do not see how deprecating something is limited by this.  The spec
should say what authors should use (strict in what you specify) but
browsers' support should be backwards-compatible (permissive in what you
accept), so deprecated content should display correctly, but authors
shouldn't use it.

Bruce