Re: Versioning and html[5]

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:43:25 +0100 (BST)
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
cc: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Specs that aren't part of "HTML" aren't relevant to this working
> group, and we shouldn't be adding versioning to our specs to solve
> problems in those other specifications.

That sounds nice in principle, but not necessarily appropriate in
practice. One specification can place dependencies on others as a
basis for strong interoperability. The author might therefore want
to opt into a particular version of HTML to imply those
dependencies. The needs of authors should be paramount even if that
means creating a little extra work for the specification process to
deal with such dependencies.