Re: Versioning and html[5]

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Specs that aren't part of "HTML" aren't relevant to this working
> group, and we shouldn't be adding versioning to our specs to solve
> problems in those other specifications.

That sounds nice in principle, but not necessarily appropriate in
practice. One specification can place dependencies on others as a
basis for strong interoperability. The author might therefore want
to opt into a particular version of HTML to imply those
dependencies. The needs of authors should be paramount even if that
means creating a little extra work for the specification process to
deal with such dependencies.