Re: Level of specification detail (Was Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:47:01 -0500
To: Dylan Smith <qstage@cox.net>
Cc: liorean <liorean@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Dylan Smith wrote:
>[...]
>
> The tag soup out there today was cooked up by authors. The guys in the cube
> farms whipping out sites need just as much precision as implementors.
> Perhaps not the same level of detailed reasoning, but I wholeheartedly
> concur with:
>
>> there is a strong need for authors to have some kind of official and
>> complete guide/reference
>
> Absent some clear guidelines on how to actually use a new spec, it'll be
> just as abused as the current model.

I'm sympathetic to that position, but there's little value in us
debating whether the need is there or not; the question is
whether there's sufficient effort available in this Working Group
to produce and review materials that are aimed for authors.

If someone has some material started, a pointer would be great.
That way we can consider the alternatives concretely.