Re: Deviance from SGML (was Re: Version information)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> If you remove the public identifier and/or DTD URL from the doctype, the
> only semantics left is that the document element has to be "html". We
> should consider removing it alltogether.

This was examined in detail; unfortunately it seems the shortest DOCTYPE
that triggers standards mode in browsers today is the one proposed.

   http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/html5/

> In what other ways is our new markup language going to deviate from
> SGML?

There are various aspects of the syntax that deviate from SGML, most are
inherited from legacy HTML implementations.

You may find some of the questions here useful:

   http://blog.whatwg.org/faq