Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:46:32 -0700
Cc: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ben Meadowcroft <ben@benmeadowcroft.com>

On Apr 12, 2007, at 3:12 AM, Ben Meadowcroft wrote:

> If you became editor and took input from people who have not agreed
> to the
> patent policy couldn't this introduce legal issues for implementors?

The W3C has always had a policy of taking input from the general
public via public mailing lists that impose no special obligations to
subscribe. For example, the CSS working group accepts public comments
on its drafts via www-style@w3.org, despite also having a completely
private list.

Note also that whether something is covered by a patent may bear no
relation to who suggested it. If I unwittingly suggest an idea that,
for example, IBM has a patent on, the fact that Apple agreed to the
patent policy affords no protection.

Regards,
Maciej