Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:08:57 +0000 (UTC)
To: Sylvain Eliade <sylvain@eliade.net>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Sylvain Eliade wrote:

> 1. If the HTML-WG adopts HTML5, what's with the WHATWG ? Will they stop
> working on their spec and "merging" with HTML-WG ? Or they will continue
> to work on "their" HTML5 ?

If the HTMLWG adopts the WHATWG spec as a starting point, and asks me to
edit the HTML spec, then there will only be one spec. The WHATWG spec and
the HTML WG spec would be one and the same.

> 3. If we adopt HTML5 and the final draft is completely different from
> the original WHATWG draft, what the WHATWG will do ?

If the HTML WG adopts the draft and me as editor, then the specs would
evolve in lockstep, literally generated from the same source document.