RE: Proposal to Adopt HTML5 -- procedural issue

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Dailey, David P. wrote:

> Might it be possible to have a place or time (or some coincidence of
> both) in which those of us who either don't know if WHATWG contains
> something, or don't understand something, could ask dumb questions?

The IRC channel #whatwg on Freenode is always open to dumb questions and
there is usually someone who can answer you, if that works. The HTML WG
IRC channel, #html-wg on irc.w3.org (port 6665 or 80) also has a number of
WHATWG people if you prefer doing it in the HTMLWG context.

> * Okay I guess I have to reveal the dumb question after all: does WHATWG
> allow for writing files client side?

Not currently; there hasn't been much demand for that. What would the use
case be? Maybe it's something we should add. There are a lot of risks
associated with any kind of client-side disk access.

> About seven years ago I put together a little web app using VML (IE
> only) http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/grapher/ -- the utility of
> being able to save files to the client (or open them) should be
> relatively self-evident.

Why wouldn't you just provide a link to the file and let the user use the
browser's Save Page As feature?