Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:00:19 -0700
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, lbolstad@opera.com
To: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>

On Apr 10, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Elliott Sprehn wrote:

> This seems okay. I do have one concern regarding his comments that
> the WHATWG will continue development of their spec separately.
> Others have already made comments that "Hixie's time would be
> better spent..." and it seems that if his time is better spent
> doing anything its working on this spec and not the WHAT WG spec
> since that's going to be largely a redundant task.

My hope is that both specs can be the same document. The W3C has done
this sort of thing before, with Web Forms 2 and XBL2. Other standards
organizations have done joint standards before as well, for instance
AVC/H.264 is a joint effort between the ISO and the ITU. In the worst
case, Ian has already said he wants to keep the WHATWG spec strictly
a compatible superset and I think that is a worthy goal.

Regards,
Maciej