Re: Use the role-attribute instead of predefined class names

Laurens Holst wrote:
>>    Secondly, using attributes for "subclassing" can be a descent into
>> madness:

>> | <role="div section article">...</>
>>

> That’s taking it too far obviously. The section types have in common
> that they’re all sections. Div doesn’t really mean anything. A role
> element means even less than div. I think you can hardly call it
> ‘subclassing’ at that point.

It wasn't a role element, but an empty-named element (wtf?) with a role
attribute. Frankly, I don't get what Matthew was trying to say there.

> Role just needs to be defined so that it’s very clear that it’s not an
> equivalent of the class attribute.

If the current definition of the class attribute isn't clear in terms of
that classes should be semantic, that can and should be fixed.
Pre-defined classes can help there as good examples, btw. I also think
risk of really breaking existing sites is low.

--Dao