RE: Version information

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 09:46:03 +0200
To: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Also sprach Chris Wilson:

 > And that is our plan, except I think perhaps our definitions of
 > "too extreme" differ. We can't, for example, change the behavior of
 > how we support CSS floats in IE7 without requiring an opt-in, since
 > we would change layout significantly for half the web.*

Standards are like vaccination -- it hurts a bit, but it's better in
the end.

I played with an old PC some time ago, it was running IE 5.0.
Installing the HP printer driver required that I had a newer IE
version installed (!), so I had to surf around at www.microsoft.com
with IE 5.0. That was an eye-opening experience with plenty of
overlapping content, huge white areas, and ultra-narrow content.

Compared to these radical layout changes users have been exposed to in
the past, fixing the CSS floating is gentle.

 > *49% of the top 200 US sites were in "strict mode" as of a couple
 > weeks ago.

If that's what they want, the browsers should deliver.

-h&kon