Re: Canvas

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 13:39:49 -0700
To: "Doug Schepers" <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>, <public-html@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Schepers" <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
To: <public-html@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: Canvas

> Hi, Andrew-
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> I am not sure about legal issues related to the current <canvas>
>> propsal. If there are any of them then I propse to use my specification:
>> http://www.terrainformatica.com/sciter/Graphics.whtm
>> It is a) simpler, b) more technically effective and c) free of any
>> royalties.
> And this is yet another reason that 'canvas' is out of scope for HTML.
> Let's not derail real HTML issues --a daunting scope as it is-- with
> inevitably long arguments about a procedural drawing protocol.

<canvas> as an entity is otrhogonal to the HTML.
I was surprised that people decided to include it even in WHATWG

If it is pure scripting solution so it should be defined on scripting
layer/DOM specification. Why dedicated <canvas> element is there
at all? What is so <semantic> in it?

I would expect that any DOM element have getGraphics() method.

In any case ability to render something in script is far from
declarative idea of HTML.

Andrew Fedoniouk.