Re: Mandated Video Format

From: Doug Schepers <doug.schepers@vectoreal.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:26:46 -0400
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, public-html@w3.org, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, hsivonen@iki.fi

Hi, Dan-

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 01:29 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>>
>> I will argue that (a) having a universally understood baseline video
>> format is a good thing for the web; (b) that in order to achieve this,
>> the specifications must mandate it; and (c) that MPEG-4/H.264 isn't
>> it.
>
> Your argument makes a good case for a standardization effort.
> If there are two other member organizations that support it,
> that's sufficient to start an incubator group.
>   http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/
>
> By making your argument here, you're asking me chair a discussion
> of which video codec is right for the web. I'm nearly overwhelmed
> by the breadth of the discussion topics already in our scope
> without adding this one.
> http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#scope
>
> If there were consensus to add this to our charter, I would consider
> putting together a proposal to the W3C membership to do so.
> But opinions are clearly divided, so I suggest we leave it
> out of scope for this Working Group.

I agree wholeheartedly.  This is a necessary conversation, but it is out
of scope for a WG that should be focused on the syntax and APIs of HTML.
  Sorry to have brought it up here, but it does impact this group's
deliverables.

I guess this would fall under the category of "guidelines"?  My only
concern is that an Incubator only lasts a year, succeed or fail, and
that an intractable party could perform a stalling action... but let's
hope that wouldn't happen.  Since it takes at least 3 member
organizations to form an Incubator, I think it would behoove Microsoft,
Apple, Mozilla, and Opera to create one and show good will toward
settling this issue.  Further, I ask that it be done as a public
charter, so we can see who's playing nice.

Cagematch!  3 codecs enter, one codec leaves!  Fight!

Regards-
-Doug