Re: CSS for print (was: Microsoft has now joined the HTML Working Group)

I think it is great that CSS is improving its layout capabilities,
as there is far too much hacking of the markup today to achieve
layout effects that should really be handled by the style sheet.
For instance the use of tables to place form fields in columns and
ensure that the labels line up nicely with the fields. Tables are
often needed to center content vertically due to limitations with
current implementations of CSS (apart from Opera that is). The CSS
Zen Garden provides an example of where superfluous markup is needed
in order to achieve stylistic effects that CSS should have catered
for directly. It is therefore great to hear that browser vendors are
willing to give CSS the capabilities it deserves.

However, that doesn't take away the flexibility that before/after
print events provide, and Chris has already mentioned the issues
that arrise when plugins/browser extensions are involved.