Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

On 4/5/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> CSS selectors can't be based on the computed value of CSS properties,
> since you need to figure out what selectors match an element to
> determine its computed style. For an extreme example of why this is
> not workable:
>
> ins:display["inline"] {
>      display: block;
>      background-color: red;
> }
>
> ins:display["block"] {
>      display: inline;
>      background-color: lime;
> }
>
> <ins>what's my background color?</ins>
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

According to the priority of the CSS selectors, i'll say that your
rule force <ins> to be inline.

Well. The problem is : we globaly agree that the semantic of q and
blockquote, div and span are the same. And we are wondering if we
could deprecate one of thoses elements, and apply the same mecanism
than <ins>/<del> to handle the display question.

But our 'don't break the web' principle lead us to consider that it
will lead to CSS integration problems. So ?

And we can also consider spec problems : <p> are not allowed to
contain block elements. But i can set a CSS display: block on an
<label> inside a <p>. Is it an error from a spec point of view ?