Re: Proposed Design Principles updated

Dave,

On Apr 4, 2007, at 12:46 , David Hyatt wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Elliott Sprehn wrote:
>
>> Neither of which are standardized behavior so you'd need to use
>> the attribute for Safari, the viewsource url for Firefox, and what
>> ever feature was supported in Opera (is it?).
>>
>> What Karl suggests on the other hand is defined behavior as per
>> the HTTP protocol and the MIME type definition for text/plain.
>>

> We can't turn off content sniffing.  Sites break if we do.  "Don't
> break the existing Web" trumps all other design considerations.

Isn't the case of CSS stylesheets served as text/plain a counter-
example of this?

Some browsers started ignoring ill-served CSS, sites "broke"...
people eventually fixed their sites' config. The browsers' choice to
be strict, there, did not "break the web", arguably it helped fix the
web.

This is why "don't break the web" may be too ambiguous a principle,
when it can be interpreted as "don't try to fix anything that seems
deeply broken about current implementations".

--
olivier