Re: Bring back <ol start="N"> in Strict mode

On Apr 2, 2007, at 22:49, Benjamin Chait wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> The attribute has already been brought back in HTML5:
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-ol
>
> That seems to imply we're just pulling WHAT WG's spec

Yes, my reply implies that because for the time being it is the most
reasonable working assumption. No one has presented a realistic
alternative to Hixie editing the spec as a single version-controlled
file that just gets a different preamble in WHATWG and W3C editions.

> is this the case? (Apologies if this is and was already sent out,
> but I didn't realize we had come to a conclusion regarding how W3C
> and WHAT would merge/continue....)

No, it has not been decided yet. (And probably won't be until
Microsoft joins.) However, for the time being, in my personal
opinion, it is unproductive to raise design issues assuming that
HTML5 wouldn't be used by this WG.

(In addition, I agree with James Graham that it would be "extreme
folly" for this WG not to take the HTML5+Hixie package.)

Disclaimer: This message not be read to imply anything about the
obvious copyright considerations.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi