Re: No subset for email

From: Gregory Woodhouse <gregory.woodhouse@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:00:46 -0700
Cc: public-html-mail@w3.org
To: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@oryx.com>

On Mar 12, 2007, at 5:34 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Gregory Woodhouse writes:
>> Now, that's interesting: Are web-based e-mail applications (which
>> are increasingly common) really distinguishable from other web-
>> based applications? I don't see how they could be.
>
> They are distinguished by having to display HTML/CSS email received
> from spammers, phishers and other fellow citizens. Many other web-
> based applications have no comparable threat.
>
> But now that you say it, I suppose a malevolent email message could
> impersonate some other UIs, not only webmail UIs.
>
> Arnt

Yes, but what I had in mind is that a web-based e-mail application is
just a web-based application, so there is no (non-voluntary) means of
restricting just those applications. i suppose that leaves the
unfortunate option of restricting he content of e-mail. Now, that's
been tried before (with rich text), without much (if any) success. At
least one reason why is obvious: If a small subset of HTML is
crystallized as part of the standard, it will rapidly fall behind the
rest of HTML. I don't see how we can realistically say that
mechanisms like stylesheets cannot be used when what users want is
improved presentation (and yes, the ability to hyperlink to other
documents).

Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse@sbcglobal.net

"We may with advantage at times forget what we know."
--Publilius Cyrus, c. 100 B.C.