Re: No subset for email

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:01:35 +0100
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: Pierre Saslawsky <pierre@photobiker.com>, public-html-mail@w3.org

On 12/03/2007 06:02, Chris Lilley wrote:

> DG> It just means it's a context where we need scoped stylesheets.
>
> Right. One of several such.
>
> How to do it, though? There have been several proposals:
>
> style="selector{property:value;}"

Please don't see the following as a reply from the CSS WG. It's not.
It's my own personal reply, my own opinion only.

I think scoped stylesheet should be allowed everywhere:

   1. inside stylesheets, so you can very easily create a standalone
      scoped sheet from an arbitrary one

   2. in the |style| attribute, and the syntax you detailed above,
      proposed LONG AGO to the CSS WG, seems to me perfect, but see
      item 3.b below.

   3. in the |style| element, and I see two different and complementary
      ways of doing it:

      a. the style attribute inside the head element could accept a new
         |scope| attribute holding a selector. The sheet would apply
         to elements descendant of elements matching that selector.
         In that case, the specificity of the rules contained in the
         sheet would be increased by the specificity of the |scope|
         selector plus the specificity of a childhood combinator

      b. the style element could be allowed, in HTML 5, inside ALL
         HTML elements, without a |scope| attribute. The styles would
         then apply to all descendants of the parent of the style
         element, the specificity of the selectors in the sheet being
         increased by the specificity of an ID selector.

</Daniel>