Re: Description link consensus

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 15:47 -0500, Laura Carlson wrote:
> Hi Philippe, Sam, Maciej, Paul, and all,
>
> Leif wrote:
>
> > A way towards consensus, is to postpone the questions we can postpone,
> > to HTML.next.
>
> My intuition tells me to never put off until tomorrow what you can do
> today. As we all know the  problem of  HTML lacking a native mechanism
> for long descriptions has been delayed for far too long as it is. I
> fear the situation will only worsen by postponing it further.
>
> But before I commit either way, some questions would need definitive answers:
>
> * Who will be in the working group that writes HTML.next? By that I
> mean will membership be open to all as it is now? Who will be afforded
> the opportunity to participate and under what conditions?
>
> * What is the timeline for HTML.next?
>
> Perhaps the HTML Chairs or Philippe can respond to these questions.

I don't believe that those questions have definitive answers at the
moment. In fact, some of them can only be responded once the Director
gets a charter to approve.

I will say however that we're looking into it but you might have to wait
a few months for a start of an answer. The previous tentative back in
August didn't lead us far unfortunately.

In the meantime, the main mission of the HTML Working Group is to finish
HTML5 sooner rather than later,

Philippe