Re: aria-describedat

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Charles McCathieNevile
<chaals@opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:54:07 +0100, Leif Halvard Silli
> <xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:28:11 +0000:

>>> I think you'd just need to state that the fragment *acts as* the
>>> description, rather than identifying the position (the start) of the
>>> description.
>>>
>>> It might (?) make sense to restrict the HTML or ARIA semantics that
>>> conformingly act as description fragments so as to exclude headings.
>>

>> I think we 'just' need to say what authors *MUST* do: point to an
>> existing fragment. And then, if they point to an non-existing fragment,
>> then - in fact - per the way browsers handle it, the entire page would
>> be in scope, no?
>

> Sure. But some authors, whatever we say, will point to the h3 element and
> not realise that it doesn't include the following stuff that is the
> description they worked so hard on.
>
> I am prepared to live with a certain failure rate in order to make an
> improvement, but it is worth trying to maximise the benefit and so worth
> thinking about how things will go wrong when people are trying to do the
> right thing.

If the browsers provide a way to visually display the description -
e.g. in an overlay - then the authors can check the result of their
work for themselves.

I would also suggest that a link to an element would just display the
page fragment rooted at that element. If an author wants to include
more than that, then they would put a div or p or so around the set of
elements that they want to link to and reference that. It won't break
HTML or fragment URIs. It's just a semantic of this attribute.