W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > August 2010

HTML-A11Y Task Force Minutes from Thursday 19 August

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:44:40 -0400
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20100820034440.GC2192@sonata.rednote.net>
Minutes from today's HTML-A11Y Task Force teleconference are provided
below in text. They can be found in html at:
http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html

   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                          HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

19 Aug 2010

   Agenda

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Eric_Carlson, John_Foliot, Janina, Gregory_Rosmaita, Mike, +49.179.103.aaaa, Cynthia_Shelly, +44.207.391.aabb,
          [Microsoft], Rich

   Regrets
          Laura_Carlson, Kenny_Johar, Sylvia_Pfieffer, Denis_Boudreau

   Chair
          Mike_Smith

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. can we get a status report on Leif's Appeal, and discuss whether this group plans to do anything else with
            regard to the Issue 30
         2. Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open
         3. can we get a status report on Leif's Appeal, and discuss whether this group plans to do anything else with
            regard to the Issue 30
         4. ARIA mappings update (incorporated change suggested by chairs?)
         5. media update (timing mechanism relation to caption format?)
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 19 August 2010

   <JF> hey Josh, hi

   <oedipus> GJR has been ill, so asks for a week extension to review access-* with UAAG (in particular, jeanne, kelly,
   and jim allan

   <Joshue> can't get his headphones into the back of his iMac..

   <Joshue> and a heary aloha back :-)

   <MikeSmith> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Aug/0139.html

   <oedipus> meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Weekly Telecon

   <scribe> scribe: janina

can we get a status report on Leif's Appeal, and discuss whether this group plans to do anything else with regard to the
Issue 30

   <MikeSmith> agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Aug/0139.html

Actions Review http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/open

   <oedipus> zakim this is WAI_PFWG(HTML TF)

   <MikeSmith> action-52?

   <trackbot> ACTION-52 -- John Foliot to create a prioritized list due 30 august -- due 2010-08-18 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/52

   <Marco_Ranon> I'm calling from the UK using +44.203.318.0479

   <MikeSmith> action-47?

   <trackbot> ACTION-47 -- Steve Faulkner to file a bug with HTML 5 about making autocomplete consistent with ARIA, per
   comment 289 http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/comments/update?comment_id=289 -- due 2010-07-29 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/47

   <MikeSmith> action-28?

   <trackbot> ACTION-28 -- Gregory Rosmaita to - prepare text for SteveF's guidance document about future of data-mining
   using RDFPic methodology outlined in post to list -- due 2010-07-29 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/28

   <MikeSmith> action-28: gregory wants to keep this open so he can talk with Steven and port text

   <trackbot> ACTION-28 - prepare text for SteveF's guidance document about future of data-mining using RDFPic methodology
   outlined in post to list notes added

   <Marco_Ranon> Hi Josue. I'm surprised the UK bridge takes two calls. That's good.

   <Joshue> lol

   <MikeSmith> action-28 due 2010-08-27

   <trackbot> ACTION-28 - prepare text for SteveF's guidance document about future of data-mining using RDFPic methodology
   outlined in post to list due date now 2010-08-27

   <Marco_Ranon> ah! still the same then.

can we get a status report on Leif's Appeal, and discuss whether this group plans to do anything else with regard to the
Issue 30

ARIA mappings update (incorporated change suggested by chairs?)

   <cyns> http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/HTML5/aria-html5-proposal.html

   <cyns> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5

   <cyns> --

   Subteam has been working on conforming our recommendation to the Wg Decision Policy per Chairs suggestion

   cs: Very close to complete on the doc

   <oedipus> JS: complete editorial work, take to email CfC

   <oedipus> current proposed spec text for ARIA in HTML5

   <oedipus> Change Proposal: ARIA in HTML5

   cs: Believe single table will help comprehension. People were having trouble finding things.
   ... Reorganized text in allowable states and properties tables. Allows any role, and describes allowable attribs
   ... Primary concern had been hard to understand.

   <MikeSmith> ARIA to HTML mappings and allowed overrides

   cs: Hopefully, it's much more clear now

   jf: Has this anything to do with current WBS on Issue-109?

   rs: Yes.

   jf: Has this been logged in the survey tool?

   rs: I noted it.

   <MikeSmithX> doc says: ARIA "defines a way to make Web content and Web applications more accessible to people with
   disabilities. It especially helps with dynamic content and advanced user interface controls developed with Ajax,
   Dynamic HTML, JavaScript, Cascading Style Sheets, and related technologies"

   cs: We have guidance on error messaging
   ... Next the actual change proposal ...

   <cyns> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5

   <JF> Related to this, and closing today: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-109-objection-poll/

   <oedipus> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-109-objection-poll/results

   cs: last section explains how items in table were chosen

   <MikeSmithX> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ARIAinHTML5#Guiding_factors_for_decisions_on_ARIA_Role_use:

   cs: details links to the doc

   <JF> JF notes that only 5 responses so far

   cs: Feedback on impact would be useful

   ms: Would be useful to get Henry's comments, but he's away on vacation and hard to get his time

   cs: I'm also on vacation

   <jongund> I need to go

   ms: Point of talking with Henry is his ongoing work on the validator

   rs: that's the html5 validator?

   pc: We requested editor to prioritize bug 10666 ...
   ... Now we need to get this back to the editor's hands

   <MikeSmithX> bug 10066

   <oedipus> rich, henri maintains http://validator.nu/

   <richardschwerdtfe> yes, I am aware of that

   pc: ms: Is there any

   <oedipus> JS: if Steve is done with all the edits, then... but he is not here

   cs: I believe all edits are in

   <oedipus> CS: he has finished the edits

   <MikeSmithX> propose RESOLUTION: Steve and/or Cynthia to respond on bug 10066 by forwarding the "Use of WAI-ARIA Roles,
   States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section 3.2.6" to the HTML
   WG and chairs on behalf of the TF

   <oedipus> plus 1

   <Joshue> +1

   <JF> +1

   <MikeSmithX> janina: we have a previous resolution this, so we should not record another one

   janina: suggest a formal resolution not needed, as we've previously done that. This is a response for additional
   information from the chairs

   rs: not many cycles for ad hoc debate on wg list for this

   <MikeSmith> ACTION: Steven to respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the "Use
   of WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section
   3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Steven

   janina: suggest a process discussion

   <MikeSmith> ACTION: Steve to respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the "Use
   of WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section
   3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-55 - Respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the
   "Use of WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of
   section 3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [on Steve Faulkner - due 2010-08-26].

   pc: you won't get the editor on the telecon
   ... so this doc updates but 1066 and puts it back in the editor's queue
   ... chairs will make sure he does it in priority

   cs: our concern is about how we proceed with discussion in the wg after the editor's response

   rs: we're referring to all the discussions on longdesc and others

   <MikeSmith> ACTION: Steven to add comment to bug 10066 with links to the "Use of WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties
   in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section 3.2.6" [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Steven

   pc: but that's orthogonal on 10066

   <MikeSmith> ACTION: Steve to respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the "Use
   of WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section
   3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-56 - Respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the
   "Use of WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of
   section 3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [on Steve Faulkner - due 2010-08-26].

   pc: i'm not trying to avoid the problem, which is how to better discuss a11y items
   ... point now is to get the bug updated with this new material

   cs: our concern was re massive on list in wg

   pc: will work on that too

   cs: we're ready to move forward, just want most efficient way.

   ms: anything else about aria mappings at this point?
   ... can someone give steve a heads up on his actions

   cs: will do

media update (timing mechanism relation to caption format?)

   jf: continue to meet weekly, hard to explain the progress, but are making it
   ... action on me to create a spread sheet extrapolating tech reqs from the user reqs so we can prioritize the tech work
   ... we've reviewed a good deal of the websrt work from the what wg

   <kliehm> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Aug/0136.html

   ms: specific question ...
   ... about the timing mechanism, left up to the format?

   <kliehm> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Aug/0014.html

   <cyns> Mike, actions 55 and 56 look the same to me? Was there another one?

   jf: issue is that we need to support alternative media to be provided by third parties, descriptions, captions, etc
   ... there needs to be a mechanism for that
   ... we now have some videos that demonstrate extended descriptions
   ... provided by ncam and we have authority to share

   <oedipus> JF, what about media.w3.org ???

   ms: great, but question is is will we formally object if media a11y isn't in last call?
   ... showstopper?

   jf: personal opinion, yes. tf? can't say

   ms: we need implementers to give tech assessment of impact

   jf: this has been a largely discussed topic for weeks,

   <oedipus> EC: only issue with extended descriptions

   <oedipus> JS: don't agree -- have issue with sign as well

   ec: we need to decide whether we make a decision is only an issue with extended descriptions

   ms: think impleme nters need to tell us what they can implement near term or what will take longer

   jf: that's why we're getting the example files from ncam
   ... we also have from ibm japan

   ms: but not in a browser

   ms; but not in a browser?

   ms: huge difference between integrated in browser and external app

   jf: this is one of the biggest discussion points in our queue, and give you an answer today

   rs: john you're referring to description audio with video?
   ... if no vehicle then html5 can't meet us sec 508
   ... yes a big deal

   pc: when is the issue 9 requirements to be delivered

   <oedipus> JS: discussed last night; worked on with JudyB; committed to be done with edits by friday - don't know if
   media subgroup needs to do anything other than announce ready

   janina: we committed to the media group to finish edits by friday

   jf: can we get status on leif's appeal?

   ms: we can talk on wg call ... presence of significant objections certainly has been noted

   jf: as process question, is it that the appeal goes straight to the director

   ms: haven't noted that that is the case, and would recommend against that

   jf: my reading of his objection is that it is an appeal

   ms: not explicitly directed
   ... it's appropriate to ask the chairs to reconsider, escalating is something we shouldn't use wantonly

   <Joshue> But that will go back to more circular discussion on the list?

   jf: ok, i'll reread the correspondance, but seem to recall appeal to the director is one option
   ... seen no indication from chairs what their intentions are
   ... also noted that bug can't be updated

   <kliehm> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Aug/0124.html

   ms: we didn't get to bug subteam reporting -- can we have an on list summary of status?

   <Marco_Ranon> OK

   ms: OK, back next week and I will chair again. thanks everyone.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Steve to respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the "Use of
   WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section
   3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Steve to respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the "Use of
   WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section
   3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Steven to add comment to bug 10066 with links to the "Use of WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in
   HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section 3.2.6" [recorded in
   http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Steven to respond to chairs response for additional information on bug 10066 by forwarding the "Use of
   WAI-ARIA Roles, States and Properties in HTML" draft spec text and "ARIA in HTML5: replace current text of section
   3.2.6" to the HTML WG and chairs [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Friday, 20 August 2010 03:45:12 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:13 UTC