W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-grddl-wg@w3.org > October 2006

Minutes for Oct 11th GRDDL Meeting

From: Ian Davis <ian.davis@talis.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:54:07 +0100
Message-ID: <452E48FF.6050309@talis.com>
To: public-grddl-wg <public-grddl-wg@w3.org>

See: http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes

11 Oct 2006

See also: IRC log (http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-irc)

Attendees

     Present
         FabienGandon HarryH Murray briansuda danc iand
     Regrets
         Ben_Adida
     Chair
         SV_MEETING_CHAIR
     Scribe
         iand

Contents

     * Topics
          1. Convene GRDDL WG meeting of 2006-10-11T11:00-0400
          2. Cross-Introduction
          3. Discussion of Primer Document
          4. GRDDL Spec:
          5. [#issue-output-formats] which output formats should GRDDL
             support?
          6. [#issue-mt-ns]
     * Summary of Action Items


<DanC> "Wednesday, October 11, 2006 at 15:00:00 Wed 11:00 AM * Wed 4:00 
PM *"

<DanC> that's UTC / Boston / London
Convene GRDDL WG meeting of 2006-10-11T11:00-0400

<HarryH> Sorry running late...

<DanC> unknown: Rachel Yager, Chimezie Ogbuji, Danny Ayers

<HarryH> +??P is HarryH

Minutes from last meeting to be sent out again for review

Murray: sent out introduction work, waiting for comments

iand: haven't had time to read it thoroughly

FabienGandon: what's process on editing?

HarryH: editors version can be changed whenever

danc: intro feels a bit long

<scribe> ACTION: iand to review Murray's suggested intro [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action01]

danc: hello world example needs thought

<HarryH> 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-wg/2006Oct/0007.html

murray: needs rdf description of the stand in resource description section

HarryH: might be nice to have same examples everywhere

danc: readers may skip to examples

HarryH: do we lose the point if we don't elaborate the examples?

murray: if we put in 2 bits of code, e.g. 5-6 lines of markup making 
assertions about authors in fragments of different languages
... docbook, link rel="author" etc

danc: pick examples from real languages

HarryH: what about linking to the examples in the primer?

murray: not in intro - it should be self-contained

danc: dave booth asking for full xml example, we'll get to it

. ACTION: Danc to flesh out ways to express author information in 
different markups languages

danc, is that ok?

<DanC> yes

<scribe> ACTION: Danc to flesh out ways to express author information in 
different markup languages [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action02]

<DanC> MM: http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#issue-output-formats 
1.103 is current
Cross-Introduction

<DanC> (I think the 2 actions in the agenda are done.)

HarryH: chimezie expressed some concerns that 2 example were not flowing 
well enough
... should we use real data or not?

danc: there might be real hreview data, but they're usually not xhtml 
and don't have grddl markup
... which means we have to copy, asking permission
... is it fair to copy yahoo data but not other W3C members'?
... would prefer to use real data

Murray: shouldn't tidy up existing data

HarryH: should we go back to reviews with manufactured data?

murray: what about getting w3c staff to write reviews of restaurants in 
cambridge and get them posted?

danc: i have hotel reviews

HarryH: we need more than one reviewer for example to make sense

danc: one hotel review is in edinburgh

<HarryH> we could try to make reviews

<HarryH> of hotels.

danc: want to talk about xbrl
... xbrl uses xml schema and taxonomies which are like rdf schemas
... how much do we specify and how much do we evangelise?

murray: are we a bit early? do you want to work on a transformation and 
put in primer?

danc: yes I want to and we could be early
... linkedin use hresume
... might be easier than xbrl

murray: i think dan ought to spend more time on section 4 of draft, less 
mathematics
Discussion of Primer Document
GRDDL Spec:

danc: danny was going to look at test cases, ian too?

iand: would like to be involved
[#issue-output-formats] which output formats should GRDDL support?

danc: don't close formats issue yet - ben adida and brian mcbride have 
some comments

scribe notes some discussion on local policy vs intention of author
[#issue-mt-ns]

HarryH: when should we ship spec? wait for tests?

danc: ready to go now

<HarryH> Brian's question about conneg and GRDDL

<HarryH> 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-wg/2006Oct/0009.html

murray: example of language conneg. without accept header the server 
sends english version, but my browser asks for spanish version
... grddl transformation will fetch from server and possibly get 
different language version
... how to fix this for the non technical user?

<HarryH> harry: GRDDL processors SHOULD support XSLT 1.0 and MAY support 
other

<HarryH> transformation languages."

<HarryH> GRDDL-aware agents SHOULD support XSLT 1.0 and MAY support 
other transformation languages

murray: believe dan's position is that "processor" shouldn't be 
mentioned but that the document shoud simply define the grddl terms

harry: what about putting this kind of language in primer?

we already have the following in primer: "Generally, if the 
transformation can be fully expressed in XSLT 1.0 then it is preferable 
to use that format since all GRDDL processors should be capable of 
interpreting an XSLT 1.0 document."

HarryH: add a test case too

<HarryH> add another use-case that adds XMLProc?

<DanC> spec says "The transformation link type refers to a 
transformation algorithm that should have a available representations in 
widely-supported formats. We expect most consumers to support XSLT 
version 1[XSLT1] for the foreseeable future, though XSLT2[XSLT2] 
deployment is increasing. "

<HarryH> Xlinclude case

<HarryH> Content negotation case

<HarryH> IanD: interested in content negotiation test case

<scribe> ACTION: iand to construct a content negotiation test case 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action03]

scribe notes some discussion on grddl mechanism of passing document or 
infoset to transformation

danc: let's work through comments

<HarryH> 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-grddl-comments/2006OctDec/0001.html

<HarryH> ACTION: iand to address comments on primer [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action04]

<HarryH> ACTION DanC to handle Michael Hausenblas comments

<HarryH> ACTION: Murray (namespaces) to go over Section 4 of GRDDL Spec 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action05]

harry: what the critical path now on the spec?

<HarryH> Murray: Example in introduction and Namespaces Section in 
Critical Path

<HarryH> Meeting adjourned!

Summary of Action Items

     [NEW] ACTION: Danc to flesh out ways to express author
     information in different markup languages [recorded in
     http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action02]
     [NEW] ACTION: iand to address comments on primer [recorded
     in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action04]
     [NEW] ACTION: iand to construct a content negotiation test
     case [recorded in
     http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action03]
     [NEW] ACTION: iand to review Murray's suggested intro [recorded
     in http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action01]
     [NEW] ACTION: Murray (namespaces) to go over Section 4 of GRDDL
     Spec [recorded in
     http://www.w3.org/2006/10/11-grddl-wg-minutes.html#action05]

[End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 12 October 2006 13:54:17 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:11:46 GMT