Re: GRDDL and HTML5

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Harry Halpin wrote:

> You don't have any problems with GRDDL's use of profile if it's a
> @rel="profile", or GRDDL's use of @rel="transformation", correct?

I think that declaring metadata vocabularies is a bad idea regardless of
the syntax. However, the <link rel=""> feature is explicitly intended as
an extension point for people who want to do whatever they want to do, so
from an HTML5 perspective it's fine. The profile="" attribute is worse
because it encourages other people to make the same design mistake, and it
misleads people into thinking that they have to declare their
vocabularies, and it misleads people into thinking that other people will
declare their vocabularies.

> > > But you might want to make your own profile, say "microChemistry",
> > > and give it a profile page, and use that profile. Profiles are
> > > extensible.
> >
> > You could do the same thing but without the profile page, just by
> > adding the transformation to your list of GRDDL transformations. Then
> > it would even work on pages that use your vocabulary but forgot to
> > copy the profile="".
>
> Yes, that would be true, but you'd have to explicitly add it to your
> list of GRDDL transformations. Which is also work.

It's work you will have to do anyway, since not all microChemistry users
will label their documents as using microChemistry.

It's also only work for the GRDDL users who care about microChemistry,
which is likely less than the number of microChemistry users.

> So, for agents when encountering a profile that has a transformation
> that is not locally cached, they could "dynamically" run the GRDDL
> tranformation by going to the profile page.

Only if the profile page declares the GRDDL transformation, which is
unlikely in practice.