Re: GRDDL and HTML5

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Harry Halpin wrote:

Just to double-check:

You don't have any problems with GRDDL's use of profile if it's a
@rel="profile", or GRDDL's use of @rel="transformation", correct?
>> But you might want to make your own profile, say "microChemistry", and
>> give it a profile page, and use that profile. Profiles are extensible.
>>

> You could do the same thing but without the profile page, just by adding
> the transformation to your list of GRDDL transformations. Then it would
> even work on pages that use your vocabulary but forgot to copy the
> profile="".

Yes, that would be true, but you'd have to explicitly add it to your
list of GRDDL transformations. Which is also work. So, for agents when
encountering a profile that has a transformation that is not locally
cached, they could "dynamically" run the GRDDL tranformation by going to
the profile page.

>> The general idea behind using profiles was *not* as a substitute for a a
>> link to a GRDDL transform, but that authors that use profiles could add
>> a link to GRDDL transform to their profile page, and the GRDDL algorithm
>> could look for a GRDDL transform there if one wasn't directly linked.
>> Think of it as a short-cut for document authors - they just have to
>> think about using particular profiles, rather than directly linking to a
>> GRDDL transformation.
>>

> Not having a profile="" attribute is also a shortcut for document authors.
> Instead of having to think about using particular profiles, they just have
> to use them, possibly without knowing (e.g. by pasting in code from tools
> or other pages).

Yes, that is what microformats in the wild does. There are concerns
about naming clashes, etc. which I am not sure how the microformat
community plans to resolve. URIs are one way, so are profiles, etc. All
have issues, depending on your preference.

>> That way the owner of the profile document can upgrade the GRDDL
>> transformation once without modifying all instance data that uses that
>> profile.
>>

> I understand that the RDF community believes that it is better for content
> to define how its vocabularies work (whatever that means) rather than
> having the tools just natively support the vocabularies, but it seems much
> better to me to just have the tools natively support the vocabularies.
> That way, you upgrade the tool and everything works better, instead of
> having to upgrade the tool and the vocabulary definitions and hope that
> everyone has linked everything together.

Well, I am in support of both, just as different options, so one can get
the best of both worlds - tools that upgrade their vocabularies
dynamically in a decentralized environment, but also tools that allow
the most common vocabularies to be part of the default - as long as the
user maintains control of their tool. But I in no-way speak for the rest
of the GRDDL community, much less the RDF community as a whole.