Re: GRDDL and HTML5

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:43:25 +0100
Cc: public-grddl-comments@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
[snip]
> I understand that the RDF community believes

No, please, that should *not* be your takeaway. I think I'm a card
carrying RDF community member and I certainly don't believe what
follows. I think it's a bit controversial, actually. (One of the
things that drives me, personally, nuts is the line that RDF is
designed for "Follow you nose" discovery, etc. I don't think it's
particularly so designed and I don't think "follow your nose" is a
great thing, by and large.)

I may be a tad heterodox, but I'm still here :)

> that it is better for content
> to define how its vocabularies work (whatever that means) rather than
> having the tools just natively support the vocabularies, but it
> seems much
> better to me to just have the tools natively support the vocabularies.

If you look back in the GRDDL archives, you'll see me argue along
these lines.

> That way, you upgrade the tool and everything works better, instead of
> having to upgrade the tool and the vocabulary definitions and hope
> that
> everyone has linked everything together.

Cheers,
Bijan.