Re: DOM based API

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:58:25 -0700
Cc: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>, public-geolocation@w3.org, public-webapi@w3.org
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>

On Jun 6, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Mark Baker wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am interested in working on a specification of a DOM API that
>> allows
>> Web pages to access the user's geolocation information (e.g. latitude
>> and longitude).
>
> I'm very glad to see somebody mention using the DOM API for this kind
> of information, right off the bat.  I'm a big believer in reuse, and
> feel that this API is an obvious candidate for reusing the DOM, i.e.
> providing a "Location" Javascript object that's also a DOM Document.

I don't understand why you would want the "Location" object to be a
DOM Document. (It needs a better name, by the way, so it doesn't
conflict with the Location object that is window.location.) And I
don't think that is what Andrei had in mind, as I understand it, he
just wants an API that aligns well with the DOM, not necessarily one
that makes non-markup information appear to be part of a Document.

I think presenting geolocation info as a Document would have the
disadvantages of more memory use and less obvious access for authors.

What are the advantages?

Regards,
Maciej