Re: DOM based API

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Mark Baker wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am interested in working on a specification of a DOM API that allows
>>> Web pages to access the user's geolocation information (e.g. latitude
>>> and longitude).
>>
>> I'm very glad to see somebody mention using the DOM API for this kind
>> of information, right off the bat.  I'm a big believer in reuse, and
>> feel that this API is an obvious candidate for reusing the DOM, i.e.
>> providing a "Location" Javascript object that's also a DOM Document.
>
> I don't understand why you would want the "Location" object to be a DOM
> Document. (It needs a better name, by the way, so it doesn't conflict with
> the Location object that is window.location.) And I don't think that is what
> Andrei had in mind, as I understand it, he just wants an API that aligns
> well with the DOM, not necessarily one that makes non-markup information
> appear to be part of a Document.

That's right, what I meant is that I agree with the fact that this API
should align with existing standards, not that the Location object
itself should be a DOM Document. Anyway, I think we should start with
the use cases first? I'm planning to add a little more detail to that
section of the draft early next week and any feedback on this topic
would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Andrei