DOM based API

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 10:55:09 -0400
To: "Andrei Popescu" <andreip@google.com>
Cc: public-geolocation@w3.org, public-webapi@w3.org

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in working on a specification of a DOM API that allows
> Web pages to access the user's geolocation information (e.g. latitude
> and longitude).

I'm very glad to see somebody mention using the DOM API for this kind
of information, right off the bat.  I'm a big believer in reuse, and
feel that this API is an obvious candidate for reusing the DOM, i.e.
providing a "Location" Javascript object that's also a DOM Document.

I note that you're at Google though, and that the Gears API doesn't
reuse the DOM;

http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/GeolocationAPI

So I'm wondering if I've misunderstood you, or if Google has had a
change of heart, or if you're perhaps not on the Gears team?

Cheers,

Mark.