Re: DOM based API

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:55:00 -0400
To: public-geolocation@w3.org

Hi, Folks-

(- public-webapi, just to reduce cross-posting)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 6/6/08 12:58 PM):
> On Jun 6, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Mark Baker wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I am interested in working on a specification of a DOM API that allows
>>> Web pages to access the user's geolocation information (e.g. latitude
>>> and longitude).
>> I'm very glad to see somebody mention using the DOM API for this kind
>> of information, right off the bat.  I'm a big believer in reuse, and
>> feel that this API is an obvious candidate for reusing the DOM, i.e.
>> providing a "Location" Javascript object that's also a DOM Document.
> I don't understand why you would want the "Location" object to be a DOM
> Document. (It needs a better name, by the way, so it doesn't conflict
> with the Location object that is window.location.) And I don't think
> that is what Andrei had in mind, as I understand it, he just wants an
> API that aligns well with the DOM, not necessarily one that makes
> non-markup information appear to be part of a Document.

I think I read the idea of hanging it off the Navigator object instead
of the Document or Window object, which puzzled me... a request for
access comes directly from a particular site, so granting it should
apply only to the requesting tab/window.

> I think presenting geolocation info as a Document would have the
> disadvantages of more memory use and less obvious access for authors.
> What are the advantages?

I'm not sure I'd count it as an advantage, but there is the way KDDI
[1], DoCoMo [2], and (as information) Microformats [3] deals with this
in markup.  I'm not suggesting we align around that, more mentioning it
for context.

I'm sure it's out of scope for the Geolocation API, but it might be
interesting to discuss how location could be codified in markup such
that if you found a resource that had a specific location (a web page
for a pizza place), a user could find the relation between their current
location and that place.  I know, more of a service, but I thought I'd
toss it out there.

[1] http://sideshowbarker.net/gps/
[2] http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/service/imode/make/content/gps/
[3] http://microformats.org/wiki/geo