Re: DOM based API

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> hello.
>
> i guess i am missing some context here. where did that discussion start? i
> can't remember seeing it on the public-geolocation list, but i probably just
> missed it.

The thread started here;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2008Jun/0001.html

If you read further on from there you'll learn that different people
had different ideas about what "DOM API" meant.  I used it to mean an
interface based on the DOM, and others thought it meant - AFAICT - any
old Javascript API.

> there also is/was
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-daviel-html-geo-tag/ which is dead
> now, but not for a long time. it has been around for a while, but never made
> to a standardized format. the last version was -09, i think.

Right, I forgot about that.  It too could be used, though I expect

> repeating my appeal for a well-defined position model
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/2008Jun/0093.html),
> i think it would be a really good idea to have a position model that is
> consistent across embodiments in various technologies (such as a DOM API or
> an HTML version or a URI or HTTP headers).
>
> i know that this somehow contradicts the major goal of the geolocation WG to
> get something out of the door quickly. but i also think for that "something"
> (the DOM API) to be well-designed, it needs to have a well-designed position
> model anyway, so why not just do it once and in a way that is reusable
> across specifications?

The position model does indeed seem an orthogonal concern.  A true DOM
based API could support any model I expect.

Mark.
--
Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca
Coactus; Web-inspired integration strategies http://www.coactus.com