[SKOS] requirement for multimedia annotations

From: Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:49:02 -0000
To: "SWD WG" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
Cc: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi all,

I've been thinking for a while that SKOS ought to provide flexible
support for annotations with arbitrary multimedia content, but I haven't
had time to develop a suitable use case. However, I just noticed that
the W3C glossaries in RDF (which use SKOS) require support for fragments
of HTML as the content of annotations:

http://www.w3.org/2003/03/glossary-project/data/glossaries/hypertext-ter
ms.rdf
http://www.w3.org/2003/03/glossary-project/data/glossaries/

The W3C glossaries use case only requires HTML annotation content
("application/xhtml+xml"), but SKOS ought to support arbitrary MIME
types.

Does anyone else have potential use cases requiring annotations with
multimedia content - text, HTML fragments, SSML, MathML, images, video,
audio ... ? I'd like to see this become a requirement for SKOS, so a
concrete use case (in addition to W3C glossaries) would be really
helpful. Otherwise I'll try to invent something plausible.

Cheers,

Alistair.

Research Associate
CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory