Re: [SKOS] requirement for multimedia annotations

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:52:18 +0100
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
CC: SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, public-esw-thes@w3.org

Dear Alistair,

> Does anyone else have potential use cases requiring annotations with
> multimedia content - text, HTML fragments, SSML, MathML, images, video,
> audio ... ? I'd like to see this become a requirement for SKOS, so a
> concrete use case (in addition to W3C glossaries) would be really
> helpful. Otherwise I'll try to invent something plausible.

I will point you towards the work of the Multimedia Task Force [1] of the
SWBPD WG, and more recently, to the work done within the Multimedia
Semantics Incubator Group [2]. In particular, we have written several use
cases [3-6] showing how RDF (and sometimes SKOS) can be used as a glue
between the various multimedia metadata formats.

Best regards.

    RaphaŽl

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/MM/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/mmsem/