[PORT] Scoping for Proposed Working Drafts

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:17:19 -0000
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, "'public-swbp-wg@w3.org'" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

Hi all,

At the SWBPD-WG face-to-face meeting last week, we discussed whether to
initially publish a document that is a very quick and easy guide to
publishing fairly standard thesauri in RDF.  Such a document should be of ~3
page length, and use a concrete example of a thesaurus, already published in
RDF.

I've put together a draft of such a document on the SkosDev wiki, see:

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/PublishingThesauriPrimerToc

I would like to suggest that we aim publish something like the above
document as a working draft, along with the supporting SKOS Core Vocabulary
Specification [2] as a working draft, as soon as possible.  Does this sound
like a good idea?

I would also like to suggest that we *do* aim to publish a 'guide' document
for SKOS Core, something like what is at [3], to describe and illustrate the
use of *all* of the features of SKOS Core, and also to discuss some
additional issues.  Whereas [1] would be a very short note targeted directly
at the thesaurus user community, [3] would be a longer note with a more
general audience, although still assuming no expert knowledge of RDF.

Of course I am completely open to any suggestions regarding this plan, and
especially discussion regarding the scoping and intended targeting of
planned documents.

Yours,

Alistair.

[2] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/spec/