Re: [LDDemo] Proposal for an agenda item re OData/Linked Data

I think it would be interesting to discuss this in the LDDemo group this
Friday 4/23 (if nowhere else right now within eGov IG).

I don't know any OData folks who might be willing to constructively explore
the 'on the Web' vs. 'in the Web' that I think Michael does a great job of
pointing out - and I think this is an important way of getting at GLD
differentiation for using/exploiting Linked Data vs. OData, or GData (or
just Atom) - and this is definitely an area that will need careful
articulation with constant diversions from Open Web Standards to sexy 'put
on your 3D glasses demos' (based on what some Open Gov advocates perceive as
Big Web/Tech Play embrace/extend tactics dujour).

See Vivek Kundra at the Dallas PDC
launch<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/dallas/> mentioning
the 'be a martian <http://beamartian.jpl.nasa.gov>' MS Azure/Dallas work
with NASA. Dallas is indeed a topic within the Federal Data.gov community of
interest/practice.

I'd also like to see this general conversation eventually get focused on the
evolving conversation around light weight syndication/discovery use of Open
Web Standards for dataset dynamics, all of which are closely related
implementations, where some favor emerging Open Standards, and others favor
proprietary extensions that don't directly honor either basic design
principles or corresponding standards emerging within this community.

-g