RE: applications and vocabularies enabling public debates

From: Luigi Selmi <selmi_luigi@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:27:06 +0200
To: <oscar.azanon@vitruviosistemas.com>, <josema@w3.org>
CC: <box1_price@debategraph.org>, <vassilios.peristeras@deri.org>, eGovIG <public-egov-ig@w3.org>, <david@debategraph.org>, <john.breslin@nuigalway.ie>, <siegfried.handschuh@deri.org>, <john.sheridan@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk>

Hi Oscar and all,
Debategraph is a quite complex application that enable public debate on-line following some theoretic model of argumentation. Other sites, the Economist for example, let their users do debates on any argument following other, more simple in that case, model of argumentation. Summarizing, someone in a community raise an issue and others make their position based on arguments. Others yet can approve one of the proposed positions and finally vote. All this can be done on any issue. What is of interest for a person as a citizen is discussing a policy before or after it has been voted by an administrative entity. This means that she must be able to follow the policy lifecycle. One interesting site that that let users follow policies and polcy-makers' activity is govtrack.us. Govtrack.us offers bulk downloads of data in the RDF format, APIs and also a SPARQL endpoint. A possible use case about e-participation showing the usefulness of interoperability, enabled by the W3C SemWeb technologies, is one in which a citizen or policy-maker raise an issue on debategraph about a policy linked through govtrack.us.