Re: [dxwg] Create a use case and requirement for "central" authoritative validation rules (#597)

Peter, I agree with this, and, due to my library background, I was the
one who brought up the idea of "authoritative profile document".
Definitely in the library world (as probably in the ISO world and
others) there will be such a document. I don't, however see how we can
do this in the PROF model which is a gathering of diverse resources with
no center. I suppose we could have a role for the "authoritative
document" but there isn't (at this time) a way then to indicate the
relationship of other resources to that document - relationships are
only to the profile. So if you have a profile with:

Authoritative PDF
Some other PDF
A SHACL file that is full constraints
A ShEx file that is partial constraints
A Schematron file that expresses the "some other PDF"

It would be necessary to be able to say that the SHACL file is full
constraints of the authoritative PDF, and the Schematron file is
constraints on the other non-authoritative PDF. But these kinds of
intra-profile relations do not exist, and I think that would be a major
change to the model. I suspect that you and I would be comfortable with
the authoritative PDF being "the" profile, and others would be support
documents. But that's not the model of PROF.

kc