Re: Enrichment document

Annette,

At first I agreed but then I have to say that I don't...  because "Big
Data" is over-used and somewhat amorphous it is becoming a term used by
everyone for much of what we might also narrowly define as "just Data."
ie, the distinction is increasingly academic.

Also, I think we did discuss in the past that unstructured text, image,
audio, and other multi-media types is also data on the web that is
published in open formats.

So really, I don't see the harm in the inclusion on the basis of those
objections because I hope that additional data types are not tangential to
our standards.

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov>                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>                                                                                                                        |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>, Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>, Caroline Burle <cburle@nic.br>, Newton Calegari               |
  |<newton@nic.br>, "glpappa@dcc.ufmg.br" <glpappa@dcc.ufmg.br>                                                                                      |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |06/23/2015 12:30 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: Enrichment document                                                                                                                           |

Hm, I had never seen that enrichment document and didn't even realize it
was in development. It gives a nice review of machine learning techniques
with a focus on text analysis. Very interesting stuff, but I have a few
concerns. My primary concern is that it defines data enrichment much too
narrowly. Data enrichment is helpful for all kinds of data, not just "big
data" (a term I would encourage us to avoid, as it is overused and highly
ambiguous). It is useful in image data as well as text, and in structured
as well as unstructured data. I think we need to beware of putting out
content that is tangential to the subject of publishing data on the web.
-Annette

Sent from a keyboard-challenged device

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 7:00 AM, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:
>
> I'm putting the DWBP doc through pubrules and, forgive me, I've just
noticed that it links to the enrichment document.

> For those unfamiliar with this, see
> http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/enrichment.html
>
> The WG may well decide to publish this - it certainly deserves attention
and may well be published. However, we can't just include it as a separate
Note without going through the usual process followed by other documents in
the WG.

> For this week's publication I have therefore removed "... according to
the suggestions described in Data Enrichment Technical Note" from the BP
doc and the link to the enrichment doc.