Re: Enrichment document

From: Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:29:32 -0700
Cc: Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>, Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>, Caroline Burle <cburle@nic.br>, Newton Calegari <newton@nic.br>, "glpappa@dcc.ufmg.br" <glpappa@dcc.ufmg.br>
To: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Hm, I had never seen that enrichment document and didn't even realize it was in development. It gives a nice review of machine learning techniques with a focus on text analysis. Very interesting stuff, but I have a few concerns. My primary concern is that it defines data enrichment much too narrowly. Data enrichment is helpful for all kinds of data, not just "big data" (a term I would encourage us to avoid, as it is overused and highly ambiguous). It is useful in image data as well as text, and in structured as well as unstructured data. I think we need to beware of putting out content that is tangential to the subject of publishing data on the web.
-Annette

Sent from a keyboard-challenged device