Re: Enrichment document

Hi Steve,
I think you're right that "big data" gets used to mean just plain data. If the distinction between the meaning of "big data" and "data" is becoming an academic one, isn't that even more reason to avoid trying to make the distinction in our own work? Let's just call data data. If we want to talk about the Vs, we can use the V words.  I actually work in academia, in the data science program at Berkeley, and the consensus even there about the term is that it is not very helpful. It is perceived as shallow and attention-seeking.

Re the scoping issue, you misunderstand me, and looking back at the placement of my last sentence, I can see why. (Sorry.) I don't think that addressing the full meaning of data enrichment would throw this piece out of scope. If anything, it would bring it back in. I think its current failure to address the broader meaning of enrichment is a serious problem, separate from the scoping issue. In addition, I  think that we should always ask ourselves whether what we are writing is relevant in particular to data on the web. I don't think there is anything particularly web-based about machine learning.

I worry that we are slowly trying to write something about every aspect of the data lifecycle. It's difficult enough for me to accept the extra BPs about how to create a vocabulary, and I worry about the data preservation BPs on similar grounds. Machine learning strikes me as further afield than either of those. Should we also write notes about hadoop, database administration, data visualization, and survey design? If we define our scope this broadly, what would we rule out?
-Annette