W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > March 2010

Draft minutes 2010-03-31

From: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:05:05 -0400
Message-Id: <47AA3506-3A82-478C-83BE-DD2096B16603@nokia.com>
To: W3C Device APIs and Policy WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>
Attached are draft minutes from teleconference on 2010-03-31. HTML  
follows text.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia



# Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

## 31 Mar 2010

[Agenda][3]

See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees

Present

    Alissa_Cooper, Anssi_Kostiainen, Balaji_Nerella_Venkataramana,
Claes_Nilsson, Daniel_Coloma, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Dzung_Tran,
Frederick_Hirsch, LauraA, Richard_Tibbett, Robin_Berjon, Wonsuk_Lee,
Thomas_Roessler_(for_administrative_portion_only)

Regrets

    Max_Froumentin, Marcin_Hanclik, Suresh_Chitturi, Marco_Marengo,
John_Morris, Ilkka_Oksanen, Thomas_Roessler

Chair

    Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    AnssiK

## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Adminstrative][6]

    2. [F2F Timing][7]

    3. [Media Annotation request for review][8]

    4. [Minutes approval][9]

    5. [Policy][10]

    6. [Privacy Policy FPWD plans][11]

    7. [Policy builder tool and policy example][12]

    8. [APIs: calendaring, notably I18N][13]

    9. [File Writer API][14]

    10. [Messaging API][15]

    11. [Capture API][16]

    12. [API checklist][17]

    13. [Adjourn][18]

  * [Summary of Action Items][19]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 31 March 2010

<Claes> +04610801 is Claes

I can do it

<dom> Scribe: AnssiK

<dom> ScribeNick: AnssiK

### Adminstrative

darobin: Thomas wants to make an announcement

<fjh> thomas notes planned call for participation for w3c workshop on privacy
for web apis

tlr: lots of conversation around privacy and security topics in Geolocation
WG, academic papers, TAG etc.

... we should pull those conversations together in a one place, in a workshop
in June-early July

... if you're interested please attend, think about a position paper

... dates to be confirmed soon

... any questions?

... feel free to send email to tlr around this as well

... an email will be sent to relevant WGs once the details have been worked
out

... details will be known at least 8 weeks prior to the workshop

darobin: any questions?

<dom> [Results of Questionnaire Finding dates for early summer 2010 Face-to-
Face meeting][20]

fh: mentions DAP f2f

### F2F Timing

<fjh> Results: [http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/43696/mid2010-f2f-
schedule/results][20]

fh: takes a look at the results of the questionnaire

<fjh> Week of July 12-16 in London

<fjh> Week of July 19-23 in Helsinki

AnssiK: which weekdays?

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to say people had two weeks to respond, proposes we
should pick a date today

fjh: probably Tue-Thu

<fjh> suggest Tue-Thur, midweek, regardless of date

tlr: we could put together the DAP f2f and privacy & security workshop?

... or align them back to back

darobin: privacy workshop would be 1-2 days

... rough estimate at the moment

<fjh> advantage of having privacy workshop in advance, feed into DAP

<fjh> could be advance with time between

darobin: Mon-Tue for privacy workshop continued with two days of DAP?

<tlr> also, note that I'm not committing to colocating at this point

fjh: does not know whether we can wait until July for privacy workshop

<alissa> yes

<dom> alissa: concurs that we should have a couple of weeks between the
workshop and the F2F

alissa: agrees that couple of weeks between the workshop and the DAP f2f would
make sense

<fjh> suggest we need a few weeks between workshop and dap f2f, to give time
to process

fjh: most DAP people are in Europe so London seems like an ideal location for
F2F

dom: not sure if we'll get many more answers to the questionnaire, the
questionnaire is already closed :)

<fjh> my preference is to decide today

dom: we have 23 answers already

... not sure if extending for one week is beneficial

... we may not get many more answers anyway

<fjh> Week of July 12-16 in London

fjh: I'd prefer we decide as soon as possible

<dom> (Tue to Thu would make July 13-15)

alissa: privacy workshop should be a week before that?

tlr: not quite sure if can commit to that

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: 13-15 July in London for DAP F2F

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: 13-15 July in London for DAP F2F, with potential
change to 14-16 if privacy workshop that week

tlr: cannot commit on resolution at this point, as it depends on hosting,
bandwidth, conflicts etc.

**RESOLUTION: 13-15 July in London for DAP F2F, with potential change to 14-16
if privacy workshop that week**

<fjh> media annotation review

### Media Annotation request for review

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-
apis/2010Mar/0002.html][21]

darobin: I've provided some feedback

<fjh> Robin notes wg is updating doc, so wait with review until new draft

### Minutes approval

fjh: at f2f we had 3 days of minutes

<fjh> 16 March, Day 1, [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/att-0154/minutes-2010-03-16.html][22]

<dom> **ACTION:** Dom to check who can host London F2F [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action01][23]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-151 - Check who can host London F2F [on Dominique
Hazaël-Massieux - due 2010-04-07].

<fjh> 17 March, Day 2, [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/att-0169/minutes-2010-03-17.html][24]

fjh: any objections for approval?

<fjh> 18 March, Day 3, [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/att-0180/minutes-2010-03-18.html][25]

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 16-18 March 2010 F2F approved.

Minutes approval

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 16-18 March 2010 F2F approved.**

### Policy

fjh: a bunch of editorial updates have been made

... Laura and Paddy will do some updates next

... added some references

... the plan was to merge material from Nokia's contribution e.g. on trust
domains

LauraA: not sure how to merge BONDI and Nokia contributions

... asking for comments how to proceed with the merge

fjh: suggest adding Nokia contributions, LauraA (and Paddy?) will commit BONDI
parts

<dom> ACTION-110?

<trackbot> ACTION-110 -- David Rogers to lead the merging of Bondi/Nokia
policy docs -- due 2010-03-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/110][26]

fjh: haven't yet looked at merging the contributions myself

<fjh> **ACTION:** laura to edit policy framework, reviewing BONDI material and
editorial update [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-
minutes.html#action02][27]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-152 - Edit policy framework, reviewing BONDI
material and editorial update [on Laura Arribas - due 2010-04-07].

<LauraA> I will continue updating the policy document,

<fjh> after next week Laura will work on merging Nokia material into framework
document

<LauraA> ...first based on BONDI input, and then merging Nokia's submission

<fjh> Privacy Policy FPWD plans

### Privacy Policy FPWD plans

<fjh> Draft - [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0164.html][28]

fjh: Alissa and John are reviewing the material

... we could write a book on the topic, so we should narrow down to API scope

alissa: I'll streamline the material, to make it aligned with the F2F
discussions

... I'll do it before the call next week

fjh: let's hold FPWD for alissa's contributions

<fjh> **ACTION:** alissa to refine privacy requirements (with John) [recorded
in [http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action03][29]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-153 - Refine privacy requirements (with John) [on
Alissa Cooper - due 2010-04-07].

<fjh> next week

<fjh> Policy builder tool and policy example

### Policy builder tool and policy example

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0156.html][30]

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0158.html][31]

<fjh> Contacts API in Mozilla Labs

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0181.html][32]

fjh: summarizes the above mails sent to the ML

<fjh> Privacy by Design

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0209.html][33]

fjh: concept of "privacy by design" is kind of a buzzword, EU is mandating
something ..

... thinks we're doing the right this, i.e. address what we can

alissa: thinks we're on the right track

... the concept of privacy by design has been there for a while

### APIs: calendaring, notably I18N

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0189.html][34]

darobin: I18N provided feedback to calendaring

<fjh> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0192.html][35]

darobin: contains comments on timezones

<fjh> "working with time zones" [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2010Mar/0207.html][36]

<dom> ACTION-128?

<trackbot> ACTION-128 -- Robin Berjon to contact I18N about other potential
calendaring issues -- due 2010-03-24 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/128][37]

richt: a difficult program, may make time to organize

<dom> [Felix on resources on internationalized calendaring][38]

richt: not sure what the actions are to get to the resolution

<fjh> robin notes that store internally in gregorian but have enumeration to
indicate calendar in use

<fjh> robin notes this was outcome of f2f

richt: scale attribute type of DOMString discussed

<richt> attribute would be "attribute DOMString? scale;" on
CalendarEventProperties or TimezonedDate

richt: will look at committing latest changes soon

darobin: HTML5 <time> may introduce timezone information

... will send information to the ML

richt: scale is about I18N

darobin: richt, did you find some timezone information in the HTML5 spec?

richt: not sure

darobin: no pub yet

### File Writer API

<dom> [Time element in HTML5 draft][39]

darobin: has been discussed on WebApps ML

... input type=saveas may not be an ideal solution as per feedback

<dom> ACTION-126?

<trackbot> ACTION-126 -- Robin Berjon to modify FileWriter to add the
saveFile() method -- due 2010-03-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/126][40]

<alissa> having phone problems, I am 202

<alissa> will reconnect

darobin: may be good enough for FPWD with an issue to document the saveas
discussion

... any objections to publishing FPWD after adding an issue

dom: if an issue on type=saveas is highlighted ok to publish

richt: the use of type=saveas would introduce drastic changes

darobin: not really, just altering the API entry points

... most stuff would remain the same

... initially we discussed the topic, Eric the author was not happy with a
fully programmatic API

... would be a good idea to put the draft out for feedback on also this
entrypoint topic

... any objections for FPWD?

<fjh> publish early and often.

darobin: no objects, will prepare for FPWD

### Messaging API

darobin: not many updates since F2F

dom: no actions closed after F2F yet

darobin: asking if Daniel can close actions by next week

danielcoloma: will do

### Capture API

darobin: AFAICT all the changes suggested in the F2F have been implemented

... ilkkao also sent a message it has been updated

<dom> +1

<fjh> Draft updated [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0226.html][41]

darobin: any objections to proceed to FPWD?

<dom> **ACTION:** Robin to prepare Capture for FPWD [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action04][42]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-154 - Prepare Capture for FPWD [on Robin Berjon -
due 2010-04-07].

**RESOLUTION: FPWD for Capture API and File Writer API**

<dom> **ACTION:** Robin to prepare FileWriter for FPWD [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action05][43]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-155 - Prepare FileWriter for FPWD [on Robin Berjon -
due 2010-04-07].

<dom> **ACTION:** Dom to request transition of FileWriter and Capture to FPWD
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action06][44]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-156 - Request transition of FileWriter and Capture
to FPWD [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2010-04-07].

fjh: mentions API checklist in the wiki

### API checklist

<fjh> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ApiCheckList][45]

darobin: checklist is mainly for LC

... everyone is free to contribute to the checklist

... AOB?

### Adjourn

<balaji> Thanks. Bye

<wonsuk> Thanks, Bye

<balaji> Yes

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** alissa to refine privacy requirements (with John)
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action03][29]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Dom to check who can host London F2F [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action01][23]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Dom to request transition of FileWriter and Capture to
FPWD [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-
minutes.html#action06][44]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** laura to edit policy framework, reviewing BONDI material
and editorial update [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-
minutes.html#action02][27]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Robin to prepare Capture for FPWD [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action04][42]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Robin to prepare FileWriter for FPWD [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action05][43]]


[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][46] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][47])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0237.html

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #item10

   [16]: #item11

   [17]: #item12

   [18]: #item13

   [19]: #ActionSummary

   [20]: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/43696/mid2010-f2f-schedule/results

   [21]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-
apis/2010Mar/0002.html

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/att-0154/minutes-2010-03-16.html

   [23]: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [24]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/att-0169/minutes-2010-03-17.html

   [25]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/att-0180/minutes-2010-03-18.html

   [26]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/110

   [27]: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [28]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0164.html

   [29]: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [30]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0156.html

   [31]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0158.html

   [32]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0181.html

   [33]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0209.html

   [34]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0189.html

   [35]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0192.html

   [36]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0207.html

   [37]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/128

   [38]: http://www.w3.org/mid/ba4134971003231219k16648f13gce7af76ce545aea0%25
40mail.gmail.com

   [39]: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/text-level-semantics.html#the-time-
element

   [40]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/126

   [41]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2010Mar/0226.html

   [42]: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action04

   [43]: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action05

   [44]: http://www.w3.org/2010/03/31-dap-minutes.html#action06

   [45]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ApiCheckList

   [46]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [47]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/





Received on Wednesday, 31 March 2010 15:05:50 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 9 May 2012 00:14:07 GMT