DAP Roadmap, priorities

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:29:19 +0100
To: public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>

Per my ACTION-60, I have started working on a roadmap for our WG
deliverables at:

I have listed at the top the APIs that were identified as our priorities
in one of our early teleconfs [1], although we didn’t make it a formal
resolution as far as I can tell. The APIs we agree to work on in
priority [2] are:
• Contacts
• Calendar
• Filesystems
• Messaging

Note that at this time, we only have active work on the Contacts API in
that list, and some discussions around Filesystems — the lack of work on
the two others is somewhat worrying. I think it would be useful to get
people volunteering to come up with Editors drafts for Calendar and
Messaging at the very least.

I have heard several people thinking that the photo/audio/video capture
API should also be a priority (myself included, actually), so maybe this
is something we should reconsider.

I would be also useful if the WG could approve the rough schedule
(ideally after having agreed on more specifics for the priority APIs).

I haven’t put any policy-related spec in the table, since I don’t think
we have a very clear idea on how they are going to be articulated at
this point; but when/if we do, we should definitely add them to the

Ideally, we should discuss that roadmap each time we fall behind
schedule on any of the priority items and update it after that
discussion. I hope the Chairs can take responsibility for this, but I’ll
try to watch this as well.

I have also started listing API that we will not work on (per previous
discussions), as well as APIs that have been suggested for future work
(which matches Robin’s ACTION-56), although that latter list might be
usefully moved to a wiki page as suggesting in the said action item.

2. this also takes of Robin’s ACTION-55; this might also take care of
Frederick’s ACTION-57, although this is not in the wiki