Re: Test cases for 'applies to'

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:06:07 -0400
To: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

Arron Eicholz wrote:
> When creating cases that verify that the ‘applies to’ rules are working
> correctly for the property should we create cases for all 91 html
> elements when the spec states ‘all elements’? I think we should.
> I say this because there are properties that say they apply only to
> ‘block-level elements’, in this case, since it is listing a display type
> I think it is ok to just test a single element from each display type.
> Its only when the spec lists ‘all elements’ do we really have to create
> a lot of tests to test thoroughly.

I don't think it's necessary to test for all elements. First off, all
form-related and frame-related elements are exempt due to the exception in
Secondly, when the line says "all elements" it's not saying "all HTML elements",
it's saying "elements with any display type". It means

   - all 'display' values, including table display values and 'run-in' under
     both inline display conditions and block display conditions
   - both positioned (/floated) and non-positioned elements
   - both replaced and non-replaced elements
   - generated content (:before/:after) as well as normal content

Testing the interaction of CSS with various HTML elements is also useful,
and maybe we want to add a category of tests for that, but it is not what
that line of the property definition is really about.