RE: Test cases for 'applies to'

Fantasai wrote:

> I don't think it's necessary to test for all elements. First off, all
> form-related and frame-related elements are exempt due to the exception
> in
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#conformance
> Secondly, when the line says "all elements" it's not saying "all HTML
> elements",
> it's saying "elements with any display type". It means
>
>    - all 'display' values, including table display values and 'run-in'
> under
>      both inline display conditions and block display conditions
>    - both positioned (/floated) and non-positioned elements
>    - both replaced and non-replaced elements
>    - generated content (:before/:after) as well as normal content
>
> Testing the interaction of CSS with various HTML elements is also
> useful,
> and maybe we want to add a category of tests for that, but it is not
> what
> that line of the property definition is really about.

I'm fine with it not being all HTML elements I know it's actually XHTML and XML and whatever other markup CSS can be applied to and I agree there are the excluded elements due to that comment in the conformance section. However, there is nothing stating in the spec that 'applies to', 'all elements' would be talking about display types in fact section 1.4.2.3 only talks about elements it mentions nothing about display types. I think we need to make an edit to that section to state a little more clearly what 'applies to' is really conveying. Your explanation is great and I recommend we add something similar to the spec as an editorial edit.