Re: Test cases for 'applies to'

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:56:00 +0200
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:45:10 +0200, Arron Eicholz
<Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com> wrote:
> When creating cases that verify that the 'applies to' rules are working
> correctly for the property should we create cases for all 91 html
> elements when the spec states 'all elements'? I think we should.
>
> I say this because there are properties that say they apply only to
> 'block-level elements', in this case, since it is listing a display type
> I think it is ok to just test a single element from each display type.
> Its only when the spec lists 'all elements' do we really have to create
> a lot of tests to test thoroughly.
>
> Thoughts?

"All elements" doesn't mean just all HTML elements. Anyway, most HTML
elements are grouped too so it doesn't really make sense to test them all.
For instance, <p>, <span>, <h1>-<h6> and <div> are quite similar in
display except for some default font-size, margin and display differences.
Then there's a whole bunch of HTML elements that CSS is not defined for
(unfortunately) such as form controls.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>