Canvas shadow DOM question for interactive HTML5 elements

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:56:29 -0700
To: David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>, jcraig@apple.com, Frank Olivier <franko@microsoft.com>
Cc: public-canvas-api <public-canvas-api@w3.org>

Hi David, James, Frank,

The canvas working group has reached consensus that we should provide a
shadow DOM for <canvas> where the canvas UI is bond to accessible objects
in the shadow DOM. Two things we need to agree on is being able to use
standard input controls and contenteditable areas in the shadow DOM as will
already be accessible in the browser. Since these interactive components
are not visible and would be in the keyboard navigation sequence we need to
know if this will be a problem for Firefox, Safari, or IE. Also,
contenteditable provides a caret location, without which we would need to
provide an API for the caret location to support magifiers and screen
readers. We need to address these action items in the next 2 weeks.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/4

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/5

Rich:

Rich Schwerdtfeger